Strategic plan and work-stream of EFCA-Tajikistan for 2016-2018
- Civil society in Tajikistan is weakening. EFCA is facing stiff competition in the development of this sector. EFCA needs to reconsider its approaches and/or reorient its activities in line with the changing environment to maintain competitiveness and relevance;
- EFCA needs to optimize their organizational structure to fit the conditions and environment of funding;
- EFCA needs to work better with its existing client base to retain donors;
- EFCA is better to sell its current products and/or to develop new products to attract additional donors;
- EFCA in Tajikistan is quite competitive – high level of professionalism and standards among local NGOs and low cost services among international NGOs;
- One of the strategies selected previously, which has proved successful and should be continued focusing on those donors that are not represented in the region or country and not have a special, loyal and stable partners in Tajikistan;
- Despite the huge share of financing for Tajikistan, the majority of these funds are spent on humanitarian activities, projects on health, hygiene and rural infrastructure, which is not particularly traditional for the activities of the EFCA;
- For the last 5 years there is a clear vision that the market of donor funding is reduced and the level of competition grows. As a result, EFCA started to attract smaller grants from 15 to 25 thousand dollars and it is interested in continuing this practice.
- Recent changes and development in the market shows that EFCA is the time to change its focus from the strategy of “concentration proposal” and to aim at “meeting the demand” of the organizations. This means that EFCA will need to develop and create demand for their products and services. The main efforts will be aimed to tailor product and service in accordance with the needs of donors.
- "The government is our client"
Integration in government activities with emphasis on participation in joint projects of donors and governments. EFCA will position itself as a professional international entity that helps the government to fulfill its tasks (Memoranda will be signed with interested ministries and state agencies). We intend to use state funds for projects in the long term
- Youth and entrepreneurship
A new fast-growing field of activity. This area will continue to gain importance among donors and governments due to the economic crisis and economic turmoil in Tajikistan.
Tajikistan is in 154 place in the new index of Transparency International, in 2015 the country was three steps below. High level of corruption is not conducive to economic development, but rather contributes to the reduction of investment attractiveness and inhibits the development of all spheres of activity in Tajikistan. EFCA was a member of the public group to prepare recommendations for the alternative report within the framework of Istanbul plan of action. Also there was implemented a project on combating corruption with the support of the Embassy of Canada. In this sphere there is a potential for development, and recently the attention of donors is switched on this problem. Many local NGOs, including major players like OSCE, World Bank, UNDP and implementing their joint projects. EFCA intends to consider the fight against corruption one of the priorities in its strategy.
- Women and domestic violence
After the adoption of the law on Prevention of domestic violence in 2013, many foreign and local agencies focused on this issue, especially in the aspect of women and children. Based on observations and monitoring funding opportunities for ideas and initiatives, an increasing number of fins. Donor funding is directed at eradicating any kind of violence in the family. This issue occupied a lot of local and international organizations in Tajikistan, but the main ones are still UN Women, the Swiss Agency for international cooperation, UNDP, the Global Fund for women, etc. The EFCA in previous projects has accumulated extensive experience in the implementation of initiatives in support of the movement against domestic violence. Given this component, EFCA and then intends to move in this direction and will try to attract attention and donor funds for these purposes.
- Access to justice and legal aid to the population
Over the past 3 years EFCA-Tajikistan was able to realize 4 small and large projects related to access to justice and providing legal assistance to the population of RT. The above projects have enabled the organization to join the number of those few organizations that work in these areas for years. Within the implementation of these projects, EFCA managed to create some important and effective tools, to enhance legal literacy and to provide affordable consultations for the population.
- Food security and health
Food security is a strategically important task of the state. This is part of the many efforts aimed at the development of agriculture, expansion of cross-border trade and creating a favorable climate for the development of production capacity.
Much attention is paid to reducing the threat of drug addiction, HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis. The bulk of allocated financial funds from donors are channeled into these areas. EFCA plans to sharpen its focus in these areas and to make every effort to implement large-scale information campaigns to attract donors.
- Raising awareness of the population about natural disasters
Given the recent unstable seismic activity in the region, as well as natural disasters such as floods and debris flows in rural areas, it is advisable to pay attention to the problem of awareness of the inhabitants of the districts of Tajikistan about the behavior in such situations and measures to prevent a large number of victims and damage. Few organizations specialize in this problem and the share of attracted funds is negligibly small. Given the potential of the EFCA for filing large projects and programs need to focus in this area.
It is expected possible increase of donor interest in the education of returned migrants secondary vocational skills and small businesses due to the fact that about 1 million Tajik citizens are or every year go to work in the CIS countries (especially Russia and Kazakhstan) and reduce the volume of remittances from labor migrants. Also due to the imposition of restrictive measures by the authorities of the Russian Federation (exams on the knowledge of the language and history of the Russian Federation, patent and other permits) option and preparatory educational work with migrants. The main players in this area are considered to be IOM and UNHCR, but EFCA has the potential and experience that are sufficient for filing a joint or individual bids and offers.
- Road safety in Tajikistan
The mortality rate and the number of accidents on the roads RT is one of the highest in the region. The main factors of this problem are the violation of traffic rules, ignorance, corruption and poor infrastructure for pedestrians. Many children and young people are among the victims of fatal accidents. EFCA is able to offer interested donors to pay attention to this problem, in the aspect of teaching children and youth the knowledge and observance of traffic rules.
Partnership in Central Asia
ü It is planned to continue cooperation with EFCA-EFCA Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan in areas such as "Access to justice" and "Initiative in support of effective management".ü Is considered to receive funding for projects in border with Kyrgyzstan, the area with the objectives to reduce conflict in the border areas of Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. A bunch of EFCA-Tajikistan and EFCA-Kyrgyzstan may have a positive effect as a result of a joint project in the two countries.ü Border trade also has great potential for development in the region. At the initial stage of a possible partnership with EFCA-Kyrgyzstan and the search for common interests for the implementation of joint projects. Consider the probability of finding and enabling partner organizations from Afghanistan and Uzbekistan in the future.